22 October 2011

Book Review: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer

Format: E-ARC (Netgalley)
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publishes: 3rd January 2012
Pages: 400
Main Characters: Cinder and Kai
Date Started: 11th October 2011
Date Finished: 22nd October 2011
Rating Given: ****



Netgalley:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl. . . .   
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.
In this thrilling debut young adult novel, the first of a quartet, Marissa Meyer introduces readers to an unforgettable heroine and a masterfully crafted new world that's enthralling.
Cinder is a futuristic twist on the classic fairytale Cinderella.
When looking through Netgalley I spotted this book I knew I had to read it as I love Cinderella and I also love different versions as well, and this was different to what I had heard of before so I had to try it and I am glad I did.
This book is set in the future where there are hovers instead of cars, cyborgs and androids which is something I haven't read before as I am more for either the modern times or the past but I was pleasantly surprised at how well I got into the time and how things where different but still believable.
Cinder is a cyborg which is where she is made out of both human and metal parts. I found Cinder a great character, she was strong and a proud person even when most people didn't like her including her stepmother and stepsister. I was routing for her from the beginning and right until the end I just wanted her to have her happyly ever after like the Cinderella characters in past stories.
From the moment we was introduced to Prince Kai I fell in love with him, he is just like the Prince Charming that we all know and love.
Cinder's and Kai's relationship was really sweet and through out the book I just wanted them to be together.
The relationship between Cinder and her younger stepsister Peony was beautiful and some of the scenes was moving to read in which I nearly cried!
The reason why I didn't give Cinder the full 5 stars was because it wasn't a stand alone book so everything was left up in the air which I wasn't expecting as this is a series so we won't know if they will get a happily ever after for years to come.
There was also parts that I didn't like as they where a bit slow.
Over all this was a great debut novel for Marissa Meyer and I can't wait to read the rest of this series.


1 comment:

  1. Yay I can't wait to read Cinder! I've been hearing so many good things, and I just got a copy of this one in the mail yesterday! I'm a fan of retellings too, they're some of my favourite books to read, and the more unique the better :)

    Thanks for sharing your review, now I'm even more excited for it! Looking forward to seeing some of your thoughts on other books

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete