19 November 2011

Book Review: Farsighted (Farsighted #1)

Farsighted (Farsighted #1) by Emlyn Chand

Format: ebook
Publisher: Blue Crown Press
Published: 17th October 2011
Pages: 218
Main Characters: Alex, Simmi and Shapri
Date Started: 12th November 2011
Date Finished: 18th November 2011
Rating Given: ****



I was asked by the publisher to review a book from Emlyn Chand and after reading what it was about I thought I would give it a try and I am glad I did.

Farsighted is about a blind boy called Alex who has the ability to 'see' the future plus other similar abilities that could help him. He happens to see the future of Simmi and he will do all he can to protect her with a few bumps and bruises along the way.

With this book I found it a little bit different to what I am used to reading as usually the main characters are like superhuman but this time they are just kids with abilities that either help or get in the way it doesn't give them super strength and they have to practice hard with the abilities they where given.

What I didn't get with this story was Alex he was blind I know but usually when people are blind their other sense are hyper aware but he seems to be 'blind' in what is going on around him just by listening to what other people was saying could have maybe stopped all the aggro he went through. As I guessed about his dad right from the beginning which we see the way Alex does but maybe he is just a real teenager boy that doesn't listen to what is going on around him. I did find his relationship between him and his mother really sweet and loved that nature of Alex, but then he would be angry/sulking and I would want slap up side the head.

Simmi did seem sweet but I didn't like the mixed signals that she gave towards Alex no wonder he was so angry all the time. I don't think we got to know her character as much as Alex but maybe we will find out more about her in the next books.

I actually preferred Shapri's character out of all of them as she was the funniest, liveliest, and just had more interesting things going on around her. I did feel sorry for her and her power I guess it would be easy to just think the people you love are still alive when they are actually dead especially when you can still see them! I also felt a little bit sorry for her with the unrequited love part of the story as you could just tell she had a soft spot for Alex but he just never really noticed her only Simmi.

I loved the love triangle between Simmi-Alex-Shapri as usually it's two guys that the girl can't decide over I hope we see more of this in the next books but I have a feeling that another name might be added.

Overall a great start to the series and I can't wait to find what is going to happen next!
Goodreads:
Alex Kosmitoras’s life has never been easy. The only other student who will talk to him is the school bully, his parents are dead-broke and insanely overprotective, and to complicate matters even more, he's blind. Just when he thinks he'll never have a shot at a normal life, a new girl from India moves into town. Simmi is smart, nice, and actually wants to be friends with Alex. Plus she smells like an Almond Joy bar. Yes, sophomore year might not be so bad after all.

Unfortunately, Alex is in store for another new arrival—an unexpected and often embarrassing ability to “see” the future. Try as he may, Alex is unable to ignore his visions, especially when they begin to suggest that Simmi is in danger. With the help of the mysterious psychic next door and new friends who come bearing gifts of their own, Alex must embark on a journey to change his future.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,

    Thank you for reviewing Farsighted. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Shapri is my favorite character too, and if you liked the love triangle, definitely keep an eye out for Open Heart (the next in the series).

    I have another favor to ask; I hope you won't mind. If you find yourself on Amazon or GoodReads in the near-ish future, would you mind cross-posting your lovely review to help up exposure for Farsighted?

    Thank you so, so much for everything.

    Emlyn :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving me the chance to review it and sure I have already put it on my goodreads page but if I go onto Amazon I definitely put it on there too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your help, Kate. I can use as many up there on Amazon as possible. That's how you grab readers' attention. I appreciate all your help. And if I haven't already said it, I'm totally going to steal that adorable owl pin from you :-D

    ReplyDelete