15 December 2011

Book Review: The Merchant's Daughter

The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson

Format: E-ARC
Publisher: Zondervan
Published: 1st December 2011
Pages: 288
Main Characters: Annabebel and  Lord Ranulf
Date Started: 8th December 2011
Date Finished: 15th December 2011
Rating Given: *****

Netgalley:
An unthinkable danger. An unexpected choice.

Annabel, once the daughter of a wealthy merchant, is trapped in indentured servitude to Lord Ranulf, a recluse who is rumored to be both terrifying and beastly. Her circumstances are made even worse by the proximity of Lord Ranulf's bailiff-a revolting man who has made unwelcome advances on Annabel in the past.

Believing that life in a nunnery is the best way to escape the escalation of the bailiff's vile behavior and to preserve the faith that sustains her, Annabel is surprised to discover a sense of security and joy in her encounters with Lord Ranulf. As Annabel struggles to confront her feelings, she is involved in a situation that could place Ranulf in grave danger. Ranulf's future, and possibly his heart, may rest in her hands, and Annabel must decide whether to follow the plans she has cherished or the calling God has placed on her heart.

Here we have another retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I have only read Beastly by Alex Flinn (which I loved) and also one of my all time favourite film the Disney classic Beauty and the Beast.

With The Merchant's Daughter I found myself comparing it to the Disney version and think about the way Melanie Dickerson changed it to become a less paranormal feel to it. I think that this version is just as good as the Disney version which is saying something coming from me!

This version is by far better than Beastly and will probably have to knock a star off of that version as this one outshines it by a mile!

This version is more of a Historical Romance which was set in the 14th Century. I was instantly drawn into this time and place and I just wouldn't imagine Beauty and the Beast set in any other time or place.

We got to see both point of views of both the characters which I loved as it made me love both the characters. I did want to bang their heads together at times especially when you knew how they was both feeling but they didn't believe that that person could love them and vice-versa.

This is the first book that I have read by Melanie Dickerson and after reading it I looked to see if she had any other books to offer and I was glad to see she had also done another re-telling so I will have to try and get my hands on it.

It may not be as magical as most of the retellings but this book was still just as enchanting!