1 May 2012

Book Review: Divergent (Divergent #1)

Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth



Format: Paperback
Publishers: HarperCollins Children's Books
Published: 3rd May 2011
Pages: 487
Main Characters: Tris, Four
Date Started: 28th April 2012
Date Finished: 1st May 2012
Rating Given: ***** 

Blurb from Goodreads:

Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.

It took me ages to actually get this book but when I did get it, it took me awhile to get around to reading it. I think that has something to do with that when I look forward to a book but then takes me ages to get it I end up not liking it but in this case I loved it and wish I never took so long to reading it.

To be honest with you all the cover is what first drew me into this book before everyone was rating about it so I am kind of glad I recieved this version but I have now found out that us UK lot have a different version which I don't like as much. I am really glad I didn't see that version first as I might not have been as willing to read the book but now it has grown on me I will have to get the UK version so that it matches the Insurgent version!

I kind of had a feeling when I started to read this book that it would be a five star book as I got into it straight away and that has only happened to books that I rate five stars. I also got what was happening and understood the book which in some dystopian books I get confused but then there are others which I get straight away and this was one of them. The style of the writing that Roth used was easily understood and descriptive so that I could actually picture the surroundings.

There was so many things going on in this book that it kept me entertained the whole way through my thoughts never strayed away from the book (which I sometimes do). I loved the whole build up to what we all probably had a feeling was going to happen. It was a action packed last couple of pages that kept me on the edge of my seat. I liked that the ending wasn't too much of a cliff-hanger but enough of one to make me want to read the next book pronto so I am glad that it's out this week not much of a wait for me.

The two main characters Tris and Four I just loved. Tris starts off with me thinking that she is a bit of a soft touch but by the end she is a strong fighter. Even though she seemed a bit of a weakling I still warmed to her from the moment the book starts and then as she grows as a person makes me like her all the more. Four from the beginning captured my heart even though he starts off a bit too harsh I just couldn't help but fall in love with his character especially when we see what he's been/going through. The interaction between these two was great to witness even if at times they where a bit mean towards each other you could still see the attraction simmering under the surface. There was some other side characters that I really liked but then there was others which where just plain evil.

Overall a stunning debut from Veronica Roth I can't wait to read more from her especially this series as it is just plain and simply AWESOME!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I'm glad to see yet another person adoring this book. I hope Insurgent lives up to everyone's expectations. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Kate :) !! I absolutely love this cover and I'm not a big fan of the new UK cover either !! Four and Tris are amazing characters and I can't wait to receive my copy of Insurgent !!! So glad you loved this one too Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoh nice review! I finally broke down and bought it not too long ago myself. But have yet to read it, since I have too many review books and too many other books I've been dying to read and still haven't gotten to yet! I hope to soon! But this definitely seems like it's going to be a good story from what I've been hearing!

    ReplyDelete