17 May 2012

Book Review: Exiled (The Never Chronicles #1)

Exiled (The Never Chronicles #1)



Format: e-arc
Publisher: Live Oak
Published: 5th May 2012
Pages: 288
Main Characters: James
Date Started: 8th May 2012
Date Finished: 16th May 2012
Rating Given: **

Blurb from Netgalley:


STRIPPED OF HIS POWERS AND BANISHED TO THE NEVER, JAMES MUST SAVE HIMSELF BEFORE HE CAN SAVE HIS  FELLOW SORCERERS FROM IMMINENT DEMISE
Prophesied by the greatest of all seers to be the sorcerer who would bring an end to the Epoch Terminus—the destruction of his kind—James grew up developing his powers under the watchful eye of his mentor, Akil Karanis.
James’s insular world is shattered when he is found guilty of murdering Akil and exiled to The Never, a mysterious and dangerous place reserved for the worst of the worst, a land from which no one returns.
Powerless and alone, James quickly learns that the land itself poses a greater threat than its inhabitants. If he is to have any chance of returning to his family, any chance of proving his innocence, any chance of saving his kind, he must survive the dangers and temptations meant to ensnare both body and mind in order to discover what no one else has been able to discover—a way home.

When looking through the new books that Netgalley had, I stumbled across this which sounded really good that I just had to try and I'm not sure whether I should have bothered as I ended up not liking it like I thought I would.

The cover looked a little creepy with using darker tones. I loved that it looks like they have used a photograph as it gives it a more realistic feel and something I was able to visualise a lot better than other books have done in the past. Also inside the book at the beginning of each chapter was a little drawing of what was happening and it again actually looked like a drawing rather than what someone did on a computer. With the drawings being there I was also able to get an image in my mind of what was going on and what the surrounding where like. It was definitely needed as I didn't get any of that through the actual words which was a shame.

I actually tried to start this book a couple of days before the date in which I stated but at that time I was tired and couldn't get into the first chapter but then when I went back to it I found that I still couldn't get into it I should have took the hint the first time round. It does actually start with things happening which I do usually like but to me it just didn't feel right. It was also very confusing as it jumps around in different time periods. First it would be that particular present time and then every other chapter would be where it would jump back and forth in time that it just got confusing. There was a couple of chapters where I thought here we go it's finally getting started but then it would go to a different time period where I am left wondering what happened in that particular time. I think if it wasn't for that I think this could have been a really good book but it just ended up being too confusing and nothing seemed to get wrapped up but maybe that's just because it's the first in a series and hopefully it will get better with the books to come although I'm not sure it's a series I want to continue with.

With the characters I didn't feel like I got to know them as well as what I have done in other books. I did start to warm to James he seemed to be nice enough as well as a strong guy I think there's going to be more about him that will come out in the next books as well as the other books.

Overall to me this book seemed more like an introduction to the world but I just couldn't get into which is such a shame as the outline did show promise but because I struggled with this I just don't think I could continue on in this journey.