3 May 2012

Book Review: The Immortal Rules (Blood Of Eden #1)

The Immortal Rules (Blood Of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa



Format: e-arc
Publishers: Harlequin Teen
Published: 24th April 2012
Pages: 485
Main Characters: Allie, Zeke
Date Started: 24th April 2012
Date Finished: 3rd May 2012
Rating Given: ***

Blurb from Netgalley:

MY VAMPIRE CREATOR TOLD ME THIS:
"Sometime in your life, Allison Sekemoto, you will kill a human being. The question is not if it will happen, but when. Do you understand?"
I didn't then, not really.
I DO NOW.
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.
Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die…or become one of the monsters.
Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.
Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.
But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

The reason why I wanted to read this book so much was how much I loved the concept of the whole thing it sounded different to other vampire books but I think that has more to do with the mix of dystopian feel to it and yes it was good but it wasn't the greatest book that I have ever read.

Another reason why I wanted to read this book was the cover as I think it's beautiful. I love the way the blood rolls down her eye and that everything on the cover that is red stands out because of the dark colours surrounding it. Even though I have only rated this book 3 stars I would still want a final hard copy version and that is down to the fact at how much I love the cover and also I have a feeling it may be textured which if you knew me you would know I love a textured book.

It did take me a while to get into this book as I felt it was very slow and confusing. Although it didn't really speed up in pace until closer to the end it did however get less confusing as the book went on. There was times when it was entertaining through out the book but not really anything big until nearer to the end which is a shame as it's a really long book so it is hard to keep going but I did and in the end I'm glad I did.

With the characters I did find it strange that they went easily against there belief's especially Allie whom becomes a vampire even though she hates them yet when it came down to it she would rather be a vampire than dead. Although if I was faced with the same question I would have no idea what I would do but I don't live in a world of vampires like she does. Even though I didn't get the whole becoming a vampire thing I did find her a likable character as she was a strong and brave girl and (sometimes) fights for what she believes in. In a world where the vampires aren't exactly the good guys it will be interesting to see how she grows in the coming books especially seeing as she grew into a more better person once she became a vampire. I'm not too sure about Zeke he seemed nice enough with a bit of a fight in him but I did find his character a bit boring and didn't get the chemistry between Zeke and Allie it just seemed fake. There was some side characters that I loved more than these two Kanin being one and Caleb being another I do hope we see more of these two in the next books.

Overall, a very slow and at times confusing book but once you get past those it's a very enjoyable book and will read the rest of the series as I think they could be even better than this one (I hope).

3 comments:

  1. Glad you overall enjoyed it Kate .. I'm hoping I'll lvoe this one and won't end up diappointed in it because of all the raving reviews I've read. Thanks for the honest and great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually dying to read this.. i'm glad that, overall it was a good read. Love your review!

    By the way, I awarded you the Versatile Blogger award, if you'd like to check out the post, it's here: Versatile Blogger Award

    Keep up the good work ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love vampires, guys! I love them, but they are overdone. When I saw Julie Kagawa had a vampire book coming out I was hopeful, but a bit skeptical. Sure, The Iron Fey series was brilliant and renewed my love in fey (and also added a whole other cast of creatures to my `I love this creature list', but I'm slightly odd). Don't get me wrong, I was excited. As soon as I got The Immortal Rules in my hands I rushed to finish my current read so I could start it.

    There's really just one way to put my thoughts and that's where we'll start: Buy this book now. Kagawa's vampires are fierce and traditional, but also have that extra burst of newness. At times, I was reminded a bit of The Passage by Justin Cronin (if you haven't read it and love vampires, get it too!), but Kagawa's The Immortal Rules is much different.

    ReplyDelete