30 May 2012

Book Review: Raised By Wolves (Raised by Wolves #1)

Raised By Wolves (Raised By Wolves #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes



Format: Paperback
Publisher: Quercus Publishing
Published: 30th September 2010
Pages: 418
Main Characters: Bryn, Chase, Callum
Date Started: 24th May 2012
Date Finished: 30th May 2012
Rating Given: ****

Blurb from Goodreads:

At the age of four, Bryn watched a rogue werewolf brutally murder her parents. Alone in the world, she was rescued and taken in by the mysterious Callum, the alpha of his werewolf pack. Now fifteen, Bryn’s been raised as a human among werewolves, adhering to pack rule (mostly). Little fazes her.

But the pack’s been keeping a secret, and when Bryn goes exploring against Callum’s direct orders, she finds Chase, a newly turned teen Were locked in a cage. Terrifying memories of the attack on her mom and dad come flooding back. Bryn needs answers, and she needs Chase to get them. Suddenly, all allegiances to the pack no longer matter. It’s Bryn and Chase against the werewolf world, whatever the consequences.

I had wanted this book for a while and when I found it on someones swap list I jumped at the chance but that was last year now and I have only just gotten around to reading it but now I'm wishing I had started this series sooner as I really enjoyed reading it.

The cover for this book I really do like as it's all blue or tinged with blue but then there is also a metallic finish to it which I think makes the book stand out even more. I love the way the title has been done as again it's something that makes the title stand out and because there isn't too much going on in the cover it doesn't make it look too much and I don't think it would have looked as good if it was just a normal and simple font. I don't think that the cover ties in with the story but in this case I don't think it matters.

This is my first book written by Jennifer Lynn Barnes but I don't think it will be my last as she has a great way of getting me into the story and making me rout for the lead character. It's also explained in a way that gets me to actually see the surroundings which doesn't always happen for me. At first though Bryn would have thoughts or flashbacks which was confusing but once I got used to it it was less confusing. I really was able to get lost in the world that Barnes created.

I have read a few Werewolves books but I would say this is one of my favourites as I love the different take on the Were's and I also love the idea of a human girl being raised by the wolves. There was always something going on which kept me wanting to read just that bit more and the more I read the more I fell in love with the book I am very much looking forward to read what the rest of the series has to offer because if this is anything to go by it will only get better and better.

I found that all the characters was likable some even more so. Bryn is a great character who has great strength especially the things that she has seen and hasn't crumbled. She is also feisty and very stubborn all the qualities to make a great lead female character that you just can't help routing for. There was times when she was a bit annoying but in the end like the other characters you just can't not forgive her. Chase I don't think we got to know enough of so he is still a bit of a mystery which I hope gets solved in the next books. I seemed to feel whatever Bryn was feeling most likely because it's told from her point of view but because of this I never knew if I should trust Callum throughout most of the book so I don't really know what to think of him. There was some other characters that wasn't in it enough which included Devon and Lake as they had great personalities that just made me laugh I hope we see more from these two as I think they could be my favourite characters ever.

Overall a great start to the Raised By Wolves series I just hope it can continue in the same way.

3 comments:

  1. I have been reading less of the genre. I go through stages, so I will definitely add this one to try at some point. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this book! I have yet to read it, but one day I will get around to it. I hope I like it as much as you did!

    Rebecca of Vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked this one Kate :) ! I look forward to read this series !!

    ReplyDelete