24 June 2012

Book Review: Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles #4)

Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles #4) by Alyxandra Harvey

(May contain spoilers)


Format: Paperback
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Published: 20th December 2011
Pages: 289
Main Characters: Lucy, Christabel, Connor
Date Started: 21st June 2012
Date Finished: 24th June 2012
Rating Given: ****

Blurb from Goodreads:

The Drakes and friends will be tested when an infestation of deadly vampires threatens Violet Hill.

Lucy's cousin Christabel has come to live in Violet Hill, and adjusting to the difference between life in a small mountain town and her home in the city is difficult enough. The strict curfew that Lucy's parents enforce is the worst part. Something really dangerous couldn't possibly happen in this tiny town.
But Christabel has noticed some mysterious happenings, and it seems like Lucy, her boyfriend Nicholas and his brother Connor are all in on a secret that Christabel doesn't understand—one that seems deadly serious. Although she won't admit it, Christabel would love to be in on any secret with Connor Drake. But when she is kidnapped by the ruthless Hel-Blar vampires, Christabel must cause more and more trouble in Violet Hill, Lucy and Connor finally fill Christabel in on all the undead drama. Together, they must find a way to stamp out the Hel-Blar for good.

Now that I have the latest book in the Drake Chronicles it has made me read these books a lot quicker although it wasn't as good as Out For Blood it's still a good book especially with it being so short I am able to read these books faster.

All the books in this series are the same but out of the ones that have been out already this one has to be my least favourite. This has to be because of the part that shine (not noticeable on this cover) just doesn't look as nice as the other as its dead plants or trees. Apart from that bit I really like this cover.

Alyxandra Harvey may be a fairly new author for me but it doesn't actually feel that way as I feel as though I have read loads of her books. Harvey sure knows how to write about some very beautiful and funny brothers and makes all her characters relatable which is probably why nearly everyone loves these books. Usually in these books she has short chapters but this time around they seemed a bit longer than usual but they wasn't too long so I was alright with that.

There was a lot going on in this book as there usually is but for some reason I couldn't quite get into it as much as I usually did. There was a few twists in this book that I didn't see coming especially the ending I am so glad I have the next book to read as otherwise that cliffhanger would have killed me. We was introduced to Connor Drake this time round but I must admit he wasn't as funny as Quinn but there was still some funny moments from Conner and some of the others but not quite as many as before.

As I said it was the turn of Conner and yes I did like him but I didn't love him as much as Quinn or Nicholas. We usually see him as the geeky one but we did see a more fiercer side to him as well as a sweet side to him. There was also another new female character in the form of Christabel who I think seems to be like her cousin Lucy but a bit more subdued. Talking of Lucy we went back to hearing her thoughts which I have missed because when we have Lucy we get Nicholas and I love there relationship between the two as there is some great banter but also a romantic side to them. There isn't a lot of Solange in this book but when we do see her she is very annoying and very different from the person we met in the first book.

Overall this book has a bit of everything for everyone a bit of humour, some action and of course some romance. Although it isn't my favourite book I still enjoyed it.