18 July 2012

Book Cover: The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


For the first time for my book cover posts I am going to talk about a book cover that I hated even if it's still on my book shelf!
They say don't judge a book by it's cover well I do always have and always will (no I haven't learnt my lesson). It took me a long time before I even thought about reading this book as I couldn't stand the cover everyone kept telling me how I should give it a chance but I just couldn't, but, then after more time passed and more people telling me to read it I thought I would give it a try and I'm glad I did as this story far outshines this particular version of the cover.
To me this cover seems like it's aimed at younger boys below the ages of 12 yet when reading the actual book that isn't the case but this cover just doesn't portray this.
I think the boy in the centre of the book is supposed to be Peeta but I for one can not see this boy as the lovely Peeta. Don't get me wrong the illustration is very good they must be very talented to be able to draw something like that but come on he is no Peeta!
The only thing I kind of like about this cover is the target around the guy as that is in keeping with what is happening within the book.
I think I would have liked the titles' font if it wasn't for the silhouette in the middle of one of the letters as I don't think it looks right.
There are now so many different versions of this book and trust me when I say they are far better than this one and at some point I will be changing to the newer better looking covers. When I read this book I just feel embarrassed by the cover I feel like I should put something in front of it.
This is one of those covers that I don't like but who agrees or disagrees with me let me know your thoughts.