15 July 2012

Book Review: Spark (Sky Chasers #2)

Spark (Sky Chasers #2) by Amy Kathleen Ryan

(May contain spoilers)

Format: Hardback (arc)
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Published: 17th July 2012
Pages: 309
Main Characters: Kieran, Waverly, Seth
Date Started: 7th July 2012
Date Finished: 12th July 2012
Rating Given: ***

Blurb from Goodreads:

Waverly and Kieran are finally reunited on the Empyrean. Kieran has led the boys safely up to this point, and now that the girls are back, their mission seems slightly less impossible: to chase down the New Horizon, and save their parents from the enemy ship. But nothing is truly as it seems…Kieran’s leadership methods have raised Seth’s hackles— and Waverly’s suspicions. Is this really her fiancé? The handsome, loving boy she was torn from just a short time before? More and more, she finds her thoughts aligned with Seth’s. But if Seth is Kieran’s Enemy No. 1, what does that make her?

In one night, a strange explosion rocks the Empyrean—shooting them off course and delaying their pursuit of the New Horizon—and Seth is mysteriously released from the brig. Seth is the most obvious suspect for the explosion, and Waverly the most obvious suspect for releasing him. As the tension reaches a boiling point, will Seth be able to find the true culprit before Kieran locks them both away—or worse? Will Waverly follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk? With the balance of power precarious and the clock ticking, every decision counts… every step brings them closer to a new beginning, or a sudden end...

I was asked by the publishers at St. Martin's Griffin if I wanted to review this book, and with me kind of enjoying the first one (Glow) I thought I would give this one a try to see if it was any better, to be honest with you I personally don't think it's any better. (Thanks to St. Martin's Griffin for giving me the chance to review this book).

I really do like this cover which does look better when you actually have a hard copy. I love the way the title is the main focus of the cover as it makes it more eye catching and also you know straight away what the book is called as well as the series because even though the series title is in a lot more smaller font my eye still goes to that part of the book second with it being next to the huge title font. The colours is my favourite part of this cover as it's just been left simple just like Glow had done.

This is only my second book that I have read by Amy Kathleen Ryan but what she can do that many others can't is create a very addictive storyline and explains things in such a way that I can picture them in my head which I like being able to do. The only thing I don't like about her style of writing is that the characters that she has created aren't very likable only a couple of the secondary characters are characters that I actually like.

There was so much going on in this book from the moment I opened the first page it was such a thrilling storyline that got me hooked on this book. The story of this book was a lot better than in Glow as it was more entertaining and I for one couldn't tell who I could trust.

As for the characters I didn't really like them although for each of the main characters they did have a couple of moments when I thought I would like them but in the end those couple of moments wasn't good enough. Seth was a lot more likable in this one than in Glow but because of the things he did in the first book I just couldn't forgive him enough in this book, but, maybe I will change my mind in the next book as I have a feeling he is going to do something huge. Kieran I actually liked in the first book but by the end of this second book I couldn't stand him as he was acting a lot like how Seth did in the first. Waverly was very annoying I couldn't stand the way she manipulated some of the characters. In this book Waverly and Kieran seemed as bad as each other as they were both hypocrites. A lot of the time I did forget these where all children as they were acting a lot older although the ones that acted younger were actually the oldest!

Overall I loved the actual storyline but the characters I near enough hated but because of the addicting storyline I will continue on in this series as I would like to know what happens next.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Glow yet but have pre-ordered Spark (don't ask). It sounds like I might have to put off reading both books, however. =/ Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Glow and just finished reading Spark and really loved them both. Both books end leaving you with as many questions at the end as you had at the beginning (in a good way) am really looking forward to bk3

    ReplyDelete