26 August 2012

Book Review: Glitch (Glitch #1)

Glitch (Glitch #1) by Heather Anastasiu


Format: Paperback (arc)
Publisher: St.Martin's Griffin
Published: 7th August 2012
Pages: 320
Main Characters: Zoe, Adrien, Max
Date Started: 20th August 2012
Date Finished: 26th August 2012
Rating Given: ***

Blurb from Goodreads:

In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.

I have had my eye on this book for awhile now so imagine my delight when I was sent a copy for review from the lovely publishers over at St. Martin's Publishing (Thanks). Although I was excited to read this book I am in two minds about it.

The cover I used to love as I love the colours which makes it stand out but now I'm not too sure if I even like it anymore. I do like the way it has a futuristic feel to the cover as it ties in with the actual story.

This is my first book by Heather Anastasiu but I don't think it will be my last as I want to continue with this series to see how things unfold. I found it hard to understand what Anastasiu was writing about as it was set in the future so there was new words in which needed to be explained better. I don't feel she described everything in detail as I couldn't really imagine the place or even the characters which is a shame as I think it would have been more understandable if everything was described more clearly.

I found the first half very slow and very confusing but the second half of the book was loads better and I found it a really addicting read. Even though I got into the book I still found at times my mind wondering from the book. I did like that there was always something going on as it's what made me like this book. I never quite understood whether the people where robots as they seemed a bit robotic but then other times I thought they where humans so I was a bit lost with that but that could just be me. I did feel like the word Glitch was a bit overused which got very annoying.

Like the rest of the book I sometimes liked the characters and then other times I just didn't get them. Zoe did go through a lot of things during this book so I did feel like she grew as a character and I hope she is a more stronger character in the next book. Adrien seemed like a good character but I don't feel like we got to know him enough. Max I didn't like you could tell he was only after one thing. It was hard to understand how each of these characters was feeling as they are not used to the different emotions so they don't understand what it is they are feeling.

Overall I liked the book but I was too confused throughout most of the book. I will be continuing on with this series as I think they will get better.