28 October 2012

Book Review: Becoming A Butterfly (The Butterfly Chronicles #1)

Becoming A Butterfly (The Butterfly Chronicles #1) by Mia Castile

 
Format: e-book
Publishers: Entwined Publishing
Published: 22nd May 2012
Pages: 276
Main Characters: Lacey, Chase, Henry
Date Started: 23rd October 2012
Date Finished: 25th October 2012
Rating Given:
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

16 year old Lacey was never the center of attention, unless she was tripping, stammering, or being deposited into a pool by the local popular kids. All she wanted was to fit in, until one night when everything changed.
Jade and Tasha, her two best friends, helped her create an online personality that was everything she wanted to be - and it was only the beginning. In doing so she attracted the attention of Henry, her lifelong crush and next door neighbor. Unfortunately it was Farrah, her online personality and not herself, he was interested in.
She also attracted Chase the brooding, quiet, anti-social new kid of Brownsburg High School, who easily figured out her secret and blackmailed her. They forged a friendship that was both unique and complicated.
Lacey must decide if revealing herself to Henry and her entire school as the cool, charming, and funny Farrah is worth possibly losing him forever, and she finds herself needing to make an even harder decision than she ever thought possible. When did the lines between truth and lies get so blurred?
Becoming a Butterfly is a story about coming of age and finding yourself when you never knew you were lost.

To be honest with everyone I never knew about this book until a few weeks ago when the author was talking about the second book to this series. I actually asked if I could review the second one not realizing that it was the second until she asked if I had read the first one which she also sent me and I'm so grateful that she did as I really enjoyed this book.
There's not much going on in the cover but because I love black and white together I in turn love this cover. I don't see that the cover resembles what the story is about which I would have liked it even more if it had done. The title's font should have been done a bit more simpler as it is hard to tell what the title actually says.
From the moment i started this book I knew I was going to really enjoy this book as I was hooked by the first couple of pages. It was a great quick read as usually when I read e-books I take a lot longer to read but somehow I read this a lot quicker than the hard copy book that I was reading at the same time. One of the things that I loved about this book is that this not just a contemporary romance but it was also a coming of age novel which was beautifully written. I did find it a bit predictable in places but there was something that happened that did shock me which I just wasn't expecting.
Lacey started of as someone who wouldn't do or say anything that was out of place but during the book she grew into a stronger person. What seemed to make her stronger was when she made up her own alter ego Farrah but her alter ego also made her change in bad ways too. There was times when she did annoy me though as she just couldn't open her eyes but overall she seemed like a sweet girl. Chase I loved he had me smiling for most of the book but like Lacey there was times when he annoyed me but I think that was mainly at the beginning. Henry I grew to like him as at first he seemed like a jerk.
Overall a very moving book that I would recommend everyone to read. Now I need to get on with the second book which I'm sure will be just as good as this one.