23 November 2012

Book Review: Butterfly Kisses (The Butterfly Chronicles #2) by Mia Castile

May contain spoilers.
 
Format: e-arc
Publishers: Entwined
Published: October 2012
Pages: 168
Main Characters: Lacey, Chase, Lana
Date Started: 2nd November 2012
Date Finished: 22nd November 2012
Rating Given:
 

Blurb from Goodreads;

Everything changed for the Baxter sisters last spring. Lacey blew it with Henry her lifelong crush, only to discover a blooming relationship with her best friend, Chase. While he picked her up and put her back together, they grew closer over the summer. Now that school has started, he’s found popularity thanks to his band Cate’s Ashes, and he’s hiding secret phone calls and text messages. Plus, did his ex-girlfriend just appear out of the blue at his show? Forcing Lacey to wonder if he’s over the feelings he pronounced for her at the beginning of summer. Add to the tension, a realization and secret of her own to keep about her worse enemy. Lacey vows to be the bigger person and keep Byron’s revelation, but what will it cost?

Meanwhile, as Lana tries to find herself again after her suicide attempt, she’s befriended by the school’s resident bad girl, Britt, and new chicano boy, Tomas, in the same week. Britt offers unconditional acceptance that Lana didn’t realize she craved, while Tomas brings out the best in her, and makes her feel alive again. Britt is dangerous and daring, while Tomas exudes security and safety. Vices come easily when you are already addicted to something you crave, and Lana muddles through figuring out who she wants to be.

With their parents constantly arguing, and their dad moving into the guest bedroom, the pressure on the girls may explode destroying them all. Is there a place for happiness when their world is crumbling around them?

 

I actually had this book before the first one as I didn't know this was the second book. When I did finished the first book I didn't see where it could go next and what did happen I never expected.

This cover is pretty much the same as the first one but what is white in this one was black in the first. I did actually prefer this one as there is more black in this one making it stand out a bit more.

With the first one I was into it straight away but this time it took a little while longer to get into but once I was into it I really enjoyed it. There was a lot more romance in this book which I liked as I always love a good romance in my books. This time around we also got to see things from Lana's point of view which was nice to see where she was coming from and how she was coping from the aftermath of book one. For most part I could kind of guess what was going to happen but then there was things that I just didn't see coming. One of the shocks was so unbearable I was in tears as it was so heartbreaking and now I don't know how I will get through the next book but I will have to read it just to find out what happens next.

Lacey was a bit immature in the first book but I really felt she grew into herself a lot more which was nice to see. Even though we didn't get to know Lana much in the first book we did find out how she was back then to how she was now and she has also grown up a lot since then. I love Chase just as much (maybe more) as I loved him in the first he is so sweet and really funny. I really enjoyed the relationships between the two sister grow as well as some new relationships with both friends, new friends and boyfriends.

Overall I preferred the first one and this was just a bit too heartbreaking which had me thinking about it long after I finished it.