8 December 2012

Book Review: Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows #1) by Yelena Black

Format: Paperback (arc)
Publishers: Bloomsbury
Published: 14th February 2013
Pages: 389
Main Characters: Vanessa, Zep, Justin
Date Started: 2nd December 2012
Date Finished: 6th December 2012
Rating Given:
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

Vanessa doesn’t believe that her sister is a runaway. She wouldn’t leave her family behind without saying a word. The only way Vanessa can discover the truth behind her mysterious disappearance is to follow in Margaret’s footsteps, but to do so she risks her sanity and maybe even her life . . .

Vanessa Adler is one of the talented few to get a place at the acclaimed New York Ballet Academy. Between backbreaking rehearsals for the school’s production of The Firebird she desperately tries to find out what happened to her sister before she vanished. There are rumors that the pressure of performing the lead role, the same role Vanessa is now rehearsing for, drove her mad. Other girls have gone missing too. Can the role be cursed? Vanessa’s new relationship with leading-man Zep only seems to complicate things further. What is he hiding from her and can she really trust him?

Black Swan meets Gossip Girl in this thrilling first book in a new series. Sexy, sinister and full of secrets, readers will be hooked on Dance of Shadows from the first page. Look out for the sequel in 2014.

 


A couple of months ago I received an email asking for reviewers for a new novel called Dance of Shadows which i thought sounded very interesting so I said I would like to review it. I am pleased to say I am so glad that I read it as I loved it so thank you to Emma over at Bloomsbury for sending me a copy to review.
 
I must admit it was the cover that drew me to this novel at first as it is a stunning cover. So far I would say that this cover is the most eye catching cover of 2013.
 
When I first started this book I thought there was plenty of mystery but I just couldn't get into it as it was a bit slow. That didn't last long though as once it got going I was gripped and couldn't wait to find out what happened next. There was so many twists and turns that I never saw coming which I love it when a book can surprise me and this one sure did. I loved that for most of the book I felt it was a mystery book but then towards the end there was a paranormal twist that I would like to see even more of in the coming books. I really found it a different to what I have read and I agree with Black Swan meets Gossip Girl and I for one loved it.
 
There wasn't many characters that I didn't like as I just never knew who was the good guy and who was the bad one making me like everyone. Vanessa seemed like a strong person who was trying to find out about her missing sister. I did find her a bit annoying at times but apart from that she was a sweet character. I am not going to say anything about the boys as I don't want to give anything away but I will say I liked them both. There was also some other characters in this book that I thought was sweet but I didn't think all relationships/friendships was believable.
 
Overall I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to continue on in this series which I am sure will only keep getting better and better. A brilliant debut from Yelena Black definitely an author to look out for.