26 January 2013

Book Review: Devil's Bargain (Red Letter Days #1) by Rachel Caine

Format: Paperback (arc)
Publishers: Mira Ink
Published: 5th October 2012
Pages: 331
Main Characters: Jazz, Lucia, James
Date Started: 19th January 2013
Date Finished: 25th January 2013
Rating Given:
  photo fourfive.jpg
 

Blurb from Goodreads:


What's the price of a deal with the devil?

Playing by the psychic underworld's rules has cost.

Jazz Callender's whole life just got turned upside down. Her friend Ben's been convicted of a crime he didn't commit, and Jazz is determined to clear his name, even if it means enlisting the help of dark forces.

Enter James, a stranger with a mysterious offer. If Jazz pledges to work for The Cross Society, a shadowy secret organisation, he'll help her save Ben.

But as she's thrust into a world of psychic powers and dangerous magic, Jazz isn't just bargain for her friend's freedom. She's bargaining for her soul too.

And how high a price is she willing to pay?

 

I had actually not heard of this book until I saw it in one of the Mira Ink's newsletter so I jumped at the chance to review it. Then I found some mixed reviews which put me off reading it which it shouldn't have as I really enjoyed it.

This book has been out for a few years but with a different cover which I wasn't a fan of and I was so glad that this was the new cover as I think it looks stunning. Although I do think it looks a bit too similar to her Morganville books (in the UK) so it would be easy to confuse them but the spine is different which can stop the confusion.

As soon as I started this book I was hooked with loads of action kicking it off it was hard not to be drawn into the book. It wasn't just the start but the whole book had something going on making it a thrilling ride. There was also  some romance but this time it was a slow builder unlike other books where it's instant attraction and it surprised me that I liked this kind of romance too. I never knew what was going to happen next and I liked the hint of paranormal however I was expecting a bit more from that side of the story but maybe in the next book it will have more focus on the paranormal. What I never realized was that this was not a young adult book but more of an adult book (as the main character was about 34!)which before this I had gone off but now it has got me wanting to read more adult books. I would have liked to have given this book five out of five rating but I have read some books that was a bit better but not by much.

Jazz was not the sweet girl that I have been a bit used to as she was such a strong fighter she was even the one that had to come to the rescue which I'm definitely not used to but it was fun to see but we also see a vulnerable side to her. Lucia is another strong female character and very much similar to Jazz. I loved to see how their friendship evolved. James Borden I loved he was one of my favourite characters as he was more like the damsel in distress but he also had a edge to him. I loved the banter between James and Borden I hope we get to see more of that in the next book. There was also some other characters that was a great addition to this book including Manny and Pansy.

Overall I found this a great start to the series and I just can't wait to read more from this series and Rachel Caine.