9 January 2013

Book Review: Hollowland (The hollows #1) by Amanda Hocking

Format: Kindle book
Publishers: Self Published
Published: 5th October 2010
Pages: 291
Main Characters: Remy, Lazlo, Harlow, Blue
Date Started: 2nd January 2013
Date Finished; 8th January 2013
Rating Given:
 Photobucket
 

The Blurb from Goodreads:

"This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door."

Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.

 


Amanda Hocking is one of my favourite authors so imagine my delight when I see this book on Amazon for free, I just had to get it and I'm glad I did.

I'm not a huge fan of this cover as I don't think it really shows us readers what the story is about. I do like the colours used though, as it makes it look more effective than if it used dull tones.

When I first started Hollowland I was really enjoying it which I was a little bit surprised by as I am not a huge fan of zombie books as they are usually boring but for this one it was anything but boring. I loved that it was a bit gory which had me cringing but I think a zombie book needs to do that. Once I got about halfway through I found it started to get a bit too repetitive making me feel like I knew what was going to happen next. I also felt like it was taking too long to read which is never a good thing as at that point I just wanted to get it finished. What really saved this book was when it got to about 20% left it got really good again but then the ending was such a huge cliff hanger which I don't always mind but with this book it felt like it just randomly ended. There was a bit of romance but it wasn't a huge vocal point of the story as it was mainly about survival but what romance was there was okay but better towards the end. I did feel like out of all Amanda Hocking's books that I have read this was the best start to a series.

Remy was a great female role model who was always fighting for survival of herself and her family and friends. There was times when she annoyed me but apart from that she was one of my favourite characters. Lazlo I found funny and he seemed to take on the 'female' role where he always needed protecting but there was a protective side to him that I liked. Harlow I'm still not sure about as she was sometimes a great fun character but then other times she was very annoying. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Blue as he was a great character and would do anything for anyone. There was also some other characters that wasn't always in the book but they was great characters that I would hope to see more of in the next book.

Overall a great start but there was a lot of things that I felt wasn't needed. I hope the next book is even better than this one.