12 January 2013

Book Review: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1) by Julie Kagawa

May contain spoilers from There Iron Fey series
Format: Paperback (arc)
Publishers: Mira Ink
Published: 6th January 2013
Pages: 416
Main Characters: Ethan, Kenzie
Date Started:5th January 2013
Date Finished: 11th January 2013
Rating Given:
 Photobucket
 

The Blurb from Goodreads:


Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

This novel is one of Julie’s books that will have you demanding for the second one as soon as you finish your read.

 

I had read  the first Iron Fey book which I kind of liked but didn't continue with the series but now that I have read this book I will definitely be giving that series another go.

I love the UK cover, I prefer it over the US cover. There is also some parts of it that's embossed which had me stroking the cover while trying to read it. The only thing I didn't like is the If you like... part as it was annoying and I feel that would have been better as a sticker so it would come off.

Even though I have only read the first one of the other series I found that I wasn't lost with this spin off. I was surprised that I was able to keep up with the book but there was times when I was wondering if certain things was said in the other series that I just didn't know about. I would say that if you haven't read the Iron Fey series and you don't want any spoilers then don't start with this book as there was spoilers but for me I didn't mind as I'm the kind of person who reads the last page to find out what happens. It was a bit of a slow start and I wasn't sure that I was going to like it but by the end I was hooked and now I can't wait to find out what is going to happen in the next book. There was plenty of things happening which some of those things I wasn't expecting which I love when that happens. There was a bit of romance in this book but that wasn't the main focus of the book which I didn't mind but I would have liked a bit more to make it a bit more believable. There has definitely been some questions that need answering but I didn't feel as though there was a huge cliff hanger which I am pleased about.

The characters did take awhile to warm up as at the beginning they did annoy me a bit but by the end I liked them and understood where they was coming from. Ethan starts of as this broody, annoying teenager with some serious sister/faery issues. He then starts to show himself in various ways including a strong fighter as well as the softer side to him. Kenzie seemed a bit annoying in the way she wouldn't leave well enough alone but again like Ethan she showed herself in various lights. Even though I didn't know some of the other characters from Iron Fey series I still remembered some of them which also appeared in this book.

Overall I preferred this book to the first book in the Iron Fey series but it has made me want to give that particular series another go as well as the rest of this spin off series.