31 January 2013

Book Review: Offside by M.G. Higgins

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Format: e-arc
Publishers: Darby Creek
Published: 28th January 2013
Pages: 112
Genre: YA
Main Characters: Faith
Date Read: 25th - 27th January 2013
Rating Given:
 photo onefive.jpg
 

Blurb from Netgalley:

Between finishing late school projects and looking after her brothers and sister, Faith Patel barely has time to play soccer. And when she's at practice, surrounded by girls who can afford to play in club leagues, she doesn't even feel like part of the team. So when Coach Berg starts to give Faith extra attention, she feels . . . really special.
It might be crazy, but suddenly Faith has a crush on her coach. Can she keep her head in the game? The situation gets worse after Faith's frenemy Caitlyn decides that Faith's getting special treatment. Will Caitlyn tell the rest of the team—and make Faith into a total outcast?

 

With me I love films that are sport based so when I came across this book I thought I would try it and see if I liked it as much as sport films but unfortunately that wasn't the case here.

The cover is simple but it does tie in with the story but for some reason I don't like it, it just doesn't scream out 'read me'.

When I fist started this book I really did think I was going to enjoy it and then when things started to build up I thought here we go but nothing really came of it making me feel disappointed. I really did think I knew what was going to happen next but I kept getting it wrong which usually I like to be kept guessing but in this case I just didn't find what actually happened believable. I think that the reason that it didn't really get going was because the book was a bit too short  and therefore not giving the story enough time to progress.

I felt that the characters didn't get enough time to develop either. The main character Faith seemed like an okay character to start with but then as I got further into the book I felt she was easily lead into thinking something that she never seemed to feel before and also she seemed a bit selfish. There was some other side characters but we didn't really get to know them that well.

Overall I felt it had loads of promise at the beginning but I just thought it fell a bit flat.