17 February 2013

Book Review: Blood Prophecy (Drake Chronicles #6) by Alyxandra Harvey

May contain spoilers from the first 5 books.
(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Format: Paperback (arc)
Publishers: Bloomsbury
Published: 14th February 2013
Pages: 496
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance
Main Characters: Lucy, Solange
Date Read: 1st February - 10th February 2013
Rating Given:
 photo threefive.jpg
 

Blurb from Goodreads:


Solange Drake will not claim her birthright; she will not be queen as vampire tradition dictates. But change always comes at a cost . . .

Possessed by a vengeful twelfth-century witch, Solange commits heinous crimes against the vampire tribes that she pledged to empower. Motives are questioned. Trust is broken. The treaty between the Drakes and the Helios-Ra is under threat. Solange must escape the folds of memory and time and fight for the fate of the royal crown - and win. Her destiny, and her heart, depends on it.

 

I was sent this book by the publishers over at Bloomsbury which was a nice surprise as I had really enjoyed this series so I wanted to see how it was all going to end, however, I felt a little let down by it.

I know that these UK covers are pretty much the same yet each one has a main focus which some I have liked and some I haven't and this one falls in the don't like category as it didn't look as realistic as some of the other one.

With this being the final book I was expecting it to be epic but I just felt it was lacking until very close to the end when there was a battle but even that ended abruptly. Throughout this series there has been a huge romance theme but this time around I didn't feel like there was much in that department which I really missed. I found out in this book that it was kind of based around the story of Snow White which I felt was a bit over used and then I felt stupid as it wasn't until it finished that the 7 brothers clicked! There was some really funny moments that I am used to seeing in this series but there was also some more heartbreaking moments which isn't usually in them but I didn't mind them too much as I felt they was needed to bring some closure to the story. I kind of liked the ending but I did feel like there was still some unanswered questions so I would have liked it if it went further into the future.

I have always loved the characters in this series and this was no difference. A few of the characters did have a slight change in personality. Nicholas used to be my favourite character but he wasn't in this one as much as the others and when he was he had changed but not in the good way although I get the reason behind the change. Lucy is just as funny and fierce as the other books she just never gave up. I have never really liked Solange and this book never really changed my mind but she did have more fight in her than the previous books. I loved that we had a chapter on the other girls that have had a book before but I don't think it was enough and I would have preferred to have chapters from the brothers too as I really missed them.

Overall I felt a little disappointed with a slow start but towards the end it improved.