2 February 2013

Book Review: Dare You To (Pushing the Limits #2) by Katie McGarry

Format: e-arc
Publishers: Mira Ink
Published: 7th June 2013
Pages: 304
Main Characters: Beth, Ryan
Genre: Contemporary Romance, YA
Date Read: 16th - 24th January 2013
Rating Given:
  photo five.jpg
 

Blurb from Netgalley:


Beth’s the bad girl that no-one wanted, not even parents.
Ryan’s the high school hero that everyone wants a piece of – even if no-one knows the real him.
Their paths should never have crossed – now they’re each other’s only life line.

If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk’s mum they’d send her mother to jail. So seventeen year old Beth protects her mum at all costs. Until the day she can’t. Suddenly sent to live with her uncle in a small town Beth’s now stuck with an aunt who doesn’t want her, and at a school that doesn’t get her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn’t go anywhere near a girl like Beth. . . .

Ryan Stone is gorgeous, a popular jock and the town golden boy—with secrets he can’t tell anyone. Even his friends. As Ryan and Beth dare to let each other in, they’re treading on dangerous ground – and the consequences could change their worlds forever.

 

As soon as I saw this was up for review on Netgalley I jumped at the chance to request it so imagine my delight when I was excepted and then the further delight when I loved it.

So far I have only seen the US version so I don't know what the UK one will look like I do hope it's better than Pushing the Limits.

When I was about to start this book I was a bit dubious as to whether I would enjoy it as much as I did the first one but for the most part I did. Like Pushing the Limits, Dare You To follows the two main characters by swapping points of views which I love when books do that as I always want to know what the other person is thinking. What I really did love about this book is that I never knew what was coming next. I love the way that the chemistry between the two main characters played out as it was really sweet and tender but there was also other times when the passion just sizzled off the page. I am used to reading about the girl being the softer one but this time it was the boy that had the much softer personality which I found a refreshing change.  This book had me on such a roller coaster ride which had me feeling sorry for everyone but also had me laughing.

I loved all the characters and I loved that we also got to see characters from the previous book. In Pushing the Limits we found out a bit about Beth but not like we do in this one as we see a softer and even girly side to her. She does have some deep cemented issues to a point where she hardly trusts anyone but we can see where she is coming from with those trust issues. I love Ryan he was so sweet but he was also going through his own family issues so we did get to see other sides to his personality.

Overall I loved this book but I would say that the first book just has the edge but definitely a highly recommended sequel. I also read the first two chapters of the third book and if they are anything to go by it's going to be epic!