28 February 2013

Book Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Format: Hardback
Publishers: Headline Publishers
Published: 2nd January 2012
Pages: 236
Genre: YA, Contemporary Romance
Main Characters: Hadley, Oliver
Date Read: 25th February - 28th February 2013
Rating Given:
 photo four.jpg
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

 

I had been after this book for awhile so imagine my delight when someone sent me a copy as a RAK, yet for some reason it took me awhile to read it but now I have I wish I had read it sooner.

I really like the cover in the way that it's all black and white apart from the heart as I feel you can can get a sense of what the book is about. Also I can imagine this cover as a part of a scene from the book which I love when that happens.

When I first started this book I wasn't quite sure I was going to like it as I wasn't too sure about Hadley but the more I read the more I could understand where she was coming from. I did find the relationship between Hadley and Oliver sweet to read about but I didn't feel as though it was a sizzling romance which I love to have in the contemporary romance books I read. I felt a lot of emotions when reading this book which did nearly have me in tears at one point but for the most part I felt it was sweet. This book wasn't just about love at first sight but also the relationship between a farther and daughter which I found a refreshing change. What I really enjoyed about this book was that it was set in 24 hours which I haven't read a book like that before but because of this I felt there was a few unanswered questions at the end of the book which was a shame.

As I said in the above character Hadley was one of the characters that I couldn't warm to at first but by the end she seemed like a sweet person who just had a few father issues. Oliver I felt was so sweet and caring although I didn't feel a huge love for him like I normally do with the male leads but I did really like him and I definitely felt for him towards the end.

Overall a very quick and enjoyable read but I didn't feel any spark there and I wish it wasn't a standalone book.