23 January 2014

Book Review: Gerard's Beauty (Kingdom, #2) by Marie Hall

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
 
Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published: 28th October 2012
Pages: 165
Genre: Adult, Paranormal Romance, Retelling
Main Characters: Gerard, Betty
Date Read: 14th January - 16th January 2014
 
Rating Given:
 photo four.jpg
 

Blurb:

A not so classic retelling of Beauty and the Beast, as seen through the eyes of the villain...

Betty Hart has had it with men. Jilted in love, her life now consists of shelving books by day, watching too much Anime by night, and occasionally dressing up like a superhero on the weekends with her fellow ‘Bleeding Heart’ nerds. Men are not welcome and very much unwanted. Especially the sexy Frenchman who saunters into her library reeking of alcohol and looking like he went one too many rounds in the ring.

Gerard Caron is in trouble. Again. Caught with his pants down (literally) he’s forced to seek asylum on Earth while his fairy godmother tries to keep Prince Charming from going all ‘Off with his head’. Maybe, messing around with the King’s daughter hadn’t been such a great idea after all, not that Gerard knew the silly redhead was a princess. But his fairy godmother knows the only way to save his life is to finally pair Gerard with his perfect mate, whether he’s willing or not.

From the moment Gerard lays eyes on the nerdy librarian he knows he must have her, but Betty is unlike any woman he’s ever known. He thought Betty would come as willingly to his bed as every other woman before her, but she is a woman who demands respect and even… horror of all horrors… love. Is it possible for a self-proclaimed Casanova to change his ways?


After reading Her Mad Hatter and loving it I had to buy the rest of the series and am glad I have as again it's another great retelling from Marie Hall!

I'm not a huge fan of the covers in this series as they are very cheesy but I do think that they are better than the original covers!

When I first started this book I wasn't overly impressed with it but once Betty and Gerard meet one another the book improves so much as their interaction with each other is hilarious. You really could feel the chemistry boiling over but neither wanted to admit this. I loved the twist of the tale Beauty and the Beast even if for most part I thought Gerard was the Beast I didn't even think about Gaston! I am going to see a whole new side to him and the rest of the characters when I watch Beauty and the Beast again but I don't mind as it's refreshing to get the side of the 'bad' guys. This is a short read but in those pages so much information is in it that I felt like I was a fly on the wall. The ending was great and I felt everything for Gerard and Betty was cleared up but I know we get to see them again in the rest of the series.

I didn't think I was going to like Gerard at the beginning as he just seemed like all he wanted to do was jump in one bed and then into another, he also seemed so arrogant but by the end we got an understanding of his background that I completely fell for him especially with his French accent! Betty was a great female character as she was strong willed but she also had a heart of gold. I loved most of the other characters in this book and it was great to get a glimpse at some of the other 'bad' boys before their book.

Overall another great book in the Kingdom series!