2 January 2014

Book Review: Sleigh Bells in the Snow (O'Neil Brothers, #1) by Sarah Morgan

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
 
Format: earc
Publishers: Harlequin
Published: 29th October 2013
Pages: 384
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Main Characters: Kayla, Jackson
Date Read: 22nd December - 28th December 2013
 
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg
 

Blurb:

Once upon a time, Christmas was Kayla Green's favorite time of year. Now all the workaholic wants for Christmas is for it to be over—as fast as possible! So when duty calls her to snowy Vermont to close a deal with a new client, Kayla is grateful for an excuse to avoid the holidays for another year.

Jackson O'Neil left a thriving business behind to return home and salvage his family's resort—it's in his blood, and he can't let it fail. Now that he's got marketing whiz Kayla Green working with him to put Snow Crystal on the map, success is on the horizon. The fact they strike enough sparks off each other to power all the Christmas lights in Vermont is just an added bonus.

Kayla might be an expert at her job, but she's out of her depth with Jackson—he makes her crave the happy-ever-after she once dreamed of, and it's terrifying. As the snowflakes continue to swirl, will the woman who doesn't believe in the magic of Christmas finally fall under its spell?


Thanks to Harlequin and Netgalley for giving me the chance to review this book as it was definitely one of my favourite reads of last year.

 I'm not a huge fan of the cover as it's a little too cheesy for my liking but I can imagine that this is taken from a scene in the book which is always a plus for me. I do think that the title of the book should have maybe have been a little bigger as it gets lost within the rest of the book.

As soon as I started this book I was completely drawn into the setting that was created by the very talented Sarah Morgan, I could visualise everything which I can't always do even if I love a book. It also helped that it was somewhere I would love to visit, she made it sound breathtakingly beautiful. When I fist started it I did feel like it was a little similar to a book I had just read but once I went further into it, it came into it's own. Sleigh Bells in the Snow had me in tears because of it being heart breaking but it also had me in tears because it was sweet and it made me happy. The chemistry between Kayla and Jackson just sizzled and I wanted them together right from the get go but there was a lot standing in the way mainly Kayla! The ending just stole my heart and I am hoping that we get to see these two in the next books even if their not the leading roles I just want to know how they are doing.

I loved every single one of these characters and I am so glad that Sarah is going to do a series with the rest of the brothers getting their own story too. Kayla is a very much driven person who loves to work but the more we get to know her past I just kept thinking no wonder she has ended up the way she has it really made me sad hearing about her childhood. Jackson I thought was going to be the same but no he wasn't he is more driven about his family which I found a very endearing quality. Both of these main characters had me laughing at the things they got up to and not only did I love their interaction but I also loved the interaction with the rest of the family.

Overall a brilliant story that I just couldn't get enough of and now I can't wait for the next book.