1 April 2014

Book Review: A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn

Format: Paperback
Publishers: HarperTeen
Published: 27th April 2010
Pages: 371
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Fairytale retelling
Main Characters: Talia, Jack
Date Read: 24th March - 31st March 2014
Rating Given:
 photo threefive.jpg

Blurb:
Talia fell under a spell...Jack broke the curse.
I was told to beware the accursed spindle, but it was so enchanting, so hypnotic...
I was looking for a little adventure the day I ditched my tour group. But finding a comatose town, with a hot-looking chick asleep in it, was so not what I had in mind.
I awakened in the same place but in another time—to a stranger's soft kiss.
I couldn't help kissing her. Sometimes you just have to kiss someone. I didn't know this would happen.
Now I am in dire trouble because my father, the king, says I have brought ruin upon our country. I have no choice but to run away with this commoner!
Now I'm stuck with a bratty princess and a trunk full of her jewels...The good news: My parents will freak!
Think you have dating issues? Try locking lips with a snoozing stunner who turns out to be 316 years old. Can a kiss transcend all—even time?

I have had this book on my book shelf for a very long time now and I have only just gotten around to reading it but I was a little bit disappointed...

I love this cover in the way that it is simply done yet it is still effective. I love that it goes with my Beastly cover even though they are not a part of a series they still both are retellings so they will look good together.

I knew as soon as I started this book that I wasn't going to love it as much as I did Beastly, but it did get better the more I read the book. It was really slow and didn't really pick up until at least halfway through and then there wasn't any real action until closer to the end. I loved the way in which the beginning of the story was more of a fairytale in the way it was unrealistic but then the second half was more realistic of today's society which was a perfect blend of the classic fairytale Sleeping Beauty and the modern retelling. The romance side of the story I thought was going to feel rushed but by halfway through it felt more like they grew to love one another. I have mixed feelings with the ending as it wasn't the classic happy ever after that we all know and love in the fairytales we grew up with but more of a updated modern version.

The main reason why I was disappointed with this book was because of the way the characters where in the beginning. Talia started of a spoilt brat and very self indulgent but about halfway through she seemed to have grown into a better person who cared about other people and was really kind. I wasn't expecting the spoilt brat version as in all of the fairytales that I love the female characters are usually like Talia ended up being like. Jack was another self centred character but like Talia he proved to be just as caring and likeable.

Overall this is no Beastly but a good read in the end.