1 May 2014

Book Review: Into the Deep (Into the Deep, #1) by Samantha Young

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18323620-into-the-deep
(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published: 8th August 2013
Pages: 315
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary Romance
Main Characters: Charley, Jake
Date Read: 27th April - 1st May 2014
Rating Given:
 photo five.jpg


Synopsis:
Live young. Live hard. Love deep.
Charley Redford was just an ordinary girl until Jake Caplin moved to her small town in Indiana and convinced her she was extraordinary. Almost from day one Jake pulled Charley into the deep and promised he was right there with her. But when a tragic incident darkened Jake’s life he waded out into the shallows and left Charley behind.
Almost four years later Charley thinks she’s moved on. That is until she takes a study year abroad in Edinburgh and bumps into none other than Jake Caplin at a party with his new girlfriend. The bad-boy-turned-good attempts to convince Charley to forgive him, and as her best friend starts spending time with Jake’s, Charley calls a truce, only to find herself tumbling back into a friendship with him.
As they grow closer, the spark between them flares and begins playing havoc with their lives and relationships. When jealousy and longing rear their destructive heads, Charley and Jake struggle to come to grips with what they mean to one another.
And even if they work it out, there is no guarantee Charley will ever trust Jake to lead her back into the deep…

“From the moment we’d met, he’d dragged me into the deep, swearing to me he was in there with me. It was a lie. He’d waded back out to the shallows and left me to drown.”

I have heard so many great things about this book and some of Samantha Young's other books, so once I finally got around to starting this book I just knew they where right...

I love the simplicity of this cover and with black and white my favourite colours this cover just stands out even more for me. I do like the hint of blue in the title as otherwise the title could have just gotten lost this way it stands out.

As soon as started this book I thought I wasn't going to be able to get into as every chapter for most of the book goes back and forth in time, but somehow I got hooked and found that I wanted no needed to find out what happened in the past. It did take a long time for everything to come out but I didn't mind as I loved all the build up and the aftermath. I did find it a very heartbreaking book which made me cry at times, I didn't expect what had happened to make everything so complicated but as soon as we knew I understood. I could feel the chemistry between Charley and Jake even when they wasn't together I just felt like they needed to be as it was obvious how much they cared about each other. Even though there was a lot of sadness in this book there was also plenty of humour which had me laughing out loud at times. The ending was great even though there was still some issues to be resolved I didn't mind as I knew there is another book to come although after reading some of the reviews I'm not so sure I want to continue but I will hopefully give it a go eventually.

Nearly every character in this book I loved as it was so easy to warm to each and every one of them. Charley was a great female lead as she was a strong person who has some trust issues which the more we find out what happened the more I understood where she was coming from. I really did feel for Charley and wanted her to come out on top. I really thought I was going to hate Jake and I wanted to as well but the more we found out about him the harder it was to hate him. My other favourite characters was Claudia, Beck and Lowe they where so funny and made great additions to the story I just hope they get there own book! One of the only characters that I didn't like was Melissa and not just because she was the other woman but I felt she was sly with the way in which she spoke to Charley while being nice as pie about it I just didn't like her.

Overall I loved this book it was so well written that I felt I was living and feeling every moment with Charley and Jake.

“I wish I could go back to that scared-shitless kid and tell him to be brave like his girl. I can't take that back though. All I can do is attempt to make up for it. I want you to give me that chance, but if you don't, I need you to know I never lied when I told you that you're extraordinary, Charley. Whatever your answer is, just know that I will always believe that, and I will always believe in you.”