15 February 2015

Book Review: Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback 
Publishers: ATOM
Published: 8th January 2013
Pages: 384
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Romance
Main Characters: Aria, Perry,  
Date Read: 3rd February - 12th February 2015
Rating Given:
 photo fourfive.jpg

Synopsis:
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered.
This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland--known as The Death Shop--are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild--a savage--and her only hope of staying alive. 
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile--everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

I received this a little while ago from ATOM publishers in exchange for a honest review.

This cover is so much better than the original cover and for the first time I'm glad it was changed plus I never had any of the books before hand so I was able to get all the books matching. I adore the colours they really make the cover stand out. The font used for the title is also a reason why I love this cover.

With this book I wasn't actually a fan at the beginning as it was far too confusing with not much happening. It was awhile when things started to make sense and once that started to happen I found myself enjoying it more and more and in the end I did love it. Sometimes when I love a book in the end I sometimes forgive the beginning especially with it being the first book with a lot of world building but then with the last two chapters there was a huge chunk of time missing which was disappointing. As for the romance side of the story it was more of a slow builder but I didn't mind that as it felt more believable and I loved them together. This is my first book from Veronica Rossi but I know for a fact it won't be the last as I need to see how this trilogy is going to end plus anything new from her I want and need to read. Apart from that chunk of time missing the ending was great as there was a cliff hanger making me eager to read book two which as of writing this review I have already started it which I never do.

I loved the characters as they where all likable. Aria I thought was a bit of a weak character to start with but the more I got to know her the more I found that that was wrong and is actually one of the mentally strongest characters in this book. I wasn't sure I was going to like Perry as he seemed a bit mean towards Aria but again like Aria the more I got to know him the more he changed my opinion of him and in the end I loved him. Apart from the two main characters my other favourite character was Roar as he was funny and sweet, I just hope we get to see more of him in the next books as he wasn't in it that much but he still left an impression on me.

Overall a good world building book with plenty happening in the end.