25 July 2015

Book Review: Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) by Colleen Houck

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback
Publishers: Hodder & Stoughton
Published: 26th May 2011
Pages: 498
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance, 
Main Characters: Kelsey, Ren 
Date Read: 1st July - 21st July 2015

Rating Given:
 photo two.jpg

Synopsis:Passion. Fate. Loyalty.Would you risk it all to change your destiny?
The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she'd be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. 
But that's exactly what happened. 
Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.
Tiger's Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.

I've had this book sitting on my shelf for a little while now and after reading it I'm not too sure I'm happy I've read it...

Love the cover it was the main reason why I wanted to read it. The tiger is beautiful and reminds me of Ren in the book. I also love the colours as they all work well together.

I absolutely loved the beginning so much so I thought it was going to be a five star book. The story started of so intriguing and enthralling it was just so colourful and different to anything I've read before.  The further I went into the book I would lose more and more interest to the point where there would be days in which I just didn't want to read it. I felt the chapters where far too long with too much information and not all of the information was useful to the story it felt like everything was dragged out. A lot of the book was far fetched and completely unbelievable. What I also didn't like about the book was that some of the words mainly the Indian language was hard to pronounce I would spend ages just trying to sound them out and then there was a couple of times when certain Indian words used wasn't translated. The relationship between Kelsey and Ren felt forced, I just didn't believe their relationship was one of love. At times both of them annoyed me in the way in which they treated one another, I found myself rolling my eyes a lot. The ending did pick up a little bit as now I do want to know what's going to happen next I just wish I didn't have to go through all through those long books to get to the end of the saga.

None of the characters ended up being 3D as in the end they fell flat. In the beginning I did like some of the characters especially the people who worked at the circus but they weren't in it for very long. Kelsey started of a nice enough girl but the more we got to know her the more I didn't like her. She was far too trusting I mean who in their right mind would go to a new country with a complete stranger no matter if they seemed trust worthy. I couldn't believe her foster parents let her do this especially when it came across that they treated her like one of their own and in the end it seemed like they where forgotten. Ren was a sweet tiger but once we found out about him able to turn into a man he wasn't so sweet yes there was a lot of times when he was nice enough but he seemed a bit too controlling for my liking. I actually liked Kishan even though in the beginning it sounded like he was supposed to be a bad guy when really he wasn't. Mr. Kadam seemed like a nice guy and he was through out the book but she still shouldn't have gone off with him as she didn't know him.

Overall, the beginning seemed to be the beginnings of an amazing and different book it was just a shame that it didn't stay that way!