31 August 2015

Book Review: The Elite (The Selection, #2) by Kiera Cass

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Paperback
Publishers: Harper Collins
Published: 23rd April 2013
Pages: 326
Genre: YA, Romance, Dystopian
Main Characters: America, Maxon, Aspen
Date Read: 20th August - 29th August 2015

Rating Given:
 photo three.jpg

Synopsis:The Selection gets fierce as rivals stake their claim on the prince. Six girls, one life-changing prize...America Singer will leave her pre-destined life for a world of glamour and luxury, if she wins...But surviving The Selection is tough. Rivals are battling to become Prince Maxon's bride as the threat of rebel violence just beyond the palace walls escalates into war. Only six girls are left and sworn friendships are tested to breaking point. America's feelings for Maxon grow stronger, but she suspects darker mysteries in his royal past. With ex-lover Aspen waiting for her in the shadows, where do her loyalties truly lie?

I have been putting this one off for a while now as I wasn't a huge fan of the first one but I thought I would give it a go, and to be honest I'm still not a huge fan...

I do like this cover with that dress it looks stunningly luxurious. The colours are also what makes this a gorgeous cover. The only thing I don't like about this cover is the expression on the girl as she looks so mardy which I kind of get but it still lets down the cover.

When I first started The Elite I did think it was going to be better than the first one as I was really into the story, however, for me the more I read the more everything wound me up. The things that really got me annoyed was the love triangle, which I don't usually mind love triangles but this one just didn't feel realistic. America would go back and forward with who she loved but it seemed she would only go with one when the other one annoyed her. I did like the rebels as it added something more to the story but even that felt like it was rushed and not explained well. The ending did pick up for me to the point that has me wanting to read the next one which was why I gave The Elite 3 stars otherwise it could have been a lot less but because of the beginning and the ending I couldn't give it any less.

It was mainly the characters that put me off this book as they all annoyed me apart from Marlee as she seemed the nicest and most genuine character. America in the beginning I thought was so much more likeable than in the first book, however, the way she acted was nothing more than a spoilt brat. She was such a hypocrite as it was all right for her not to know who she wanted but god forbid Maxon liked someone else. Maxon really annoyed me in this book as he acted like America but I could understand his actions (even if I didn't approve). Aspen wasn't really in this as much as the other characters so it was hard to like him or dislike him.

Overall I was not able to enjoy this book all the way through but I liked it enough in the end to warrant a read of the next book.