7 May 2016

Book Review: The Player (The Wedding Pact, #2) by Denise Grover Swank

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)
Buy: Amazon UK | Amazon US | 

Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published: 2nd June 2015
Pages: 356
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance, 
Main Characters: Blair, Garrett
Date Read: 13th April - 17th April 2016

Rating Given:
 photo two.jpg

Synopsis:
Book two in the USA Today bestselling The Wedding Pact series.
Divorce attorney Blair Hansen is convinced that marriage should be based on practicality, not passion. But as her own wedding approaches, she finds herself remembering her law school boyfriend, the only man she's ever loved, and regretting what might have been. Then a twist of fate lands Garrett back in her life, and the man who loomed large in her past is suddenly casting a shadow over her wedding, making her question everything. To complicate matters further, the job she loves is in peril, and she can feel the ‘perfect’ life she’s fashioned for herself start to crumble under her feet. Could everything she's believed about life and love be wrong?
Garrett Lowry is a divorce attorney who's ready to settle down. The problem is that he can’t find a woman who suits him nearly as well as the one he loved and lost. He broke her heart by playing the field after their break up—something he’s always regretted. But after months of pining for Blair, Garrett stumbles across her in a freak coincidence—and then destiny keeps throwing them together, the coincidences becoming ever more unlikely. He’s convinced it's a sign they should give their love a second chance, but Blair is engaged to another man—a man who is absolutely wrong for her.
Can Garrett convince Blair that a player once isn’t a player forever, and that happy endings aren’t just for dreamers?

I loved the first book in this series so I was very excited about starting this book however, I found this one very annoying...

The romantic look of the cover is sweet and in keeping with the story. I love the red addition to the cover which makes it all the more striking.

I started off thinking that it had potential as it had me intrigued but the more I read the more it started to annoy me. I never really connected with most of the story especially the romance between the two main characters as I didn't feel it. I usually like the second chance romances but somehow this one I didn't plus I felt it was rushed. Even though I loved the first book where it was rushed this one I felt needed to be slowed down as there was a lot of issues between the pair that I felt needed working out. Then there was the relationship between Blair and Neil which also didn't work especially with what we know about Blair I feel like she wouldn't stand for or even believe all the rubbish that Neil did/said. I did love seeing more from the best friends especially seeing the couple from the previous book and how their relationship was going. I wasn't a fan of the ending as again it was rushed but there was moments that I did enjoy in the end as I could imagine certain parts in a film.

Even though I loved the first book I was still dubious about reading this book as I didn't like Blair in the first book but I was hoping that she would grow on me in this book however that didn't really happen. Blair is just not a likeable person as she is harsh and a hypocrite, there was times when I started to like her but then she would do something that would annoy me. Usually I like the guy especially in Swanks, books that I have read but Garrett annoyed me but he was more likeable than Blair but not much. Neil is one of the worst characters that I have ever read he is just vile. It was great to see Megan's Gran again as she always seems to be a scene stealer I love her.

Overall, I was let down by this book but it won't stop me reading future books by Denise Grover Swank and I am still looking forward to the last book in this series.