14 July 2016

Book Review: Pucked (Pucked, #1) by Helena Hunting

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Kindle
Publishers: Indie
Published: 3rd May 2015
Pages: 380
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance, Sport Romance
Main Characters: Violet, Alex
Date Read: 15th June - 19th June 2016

Rating Given:

Synopsis:With a famous NHL player for a step-brother, Violet Hall is well acquainted with the playboy reputation many hockey stars come with. She’s smart enough to steer clear of those hot, well-built boys with unparalleled stamina. That is until she meets the legendary team captain—Alex Waters.
Violet isn’t interested in his pretty, beat-up face, or his rock-hard six-pack abs. But when Alex inadvertently obliterates Violet’s previous misapprehension regarding the inferior intellect of hockey players, he becomes more than just a hot body with a face to match.
In what can only be considered a complete lapse in judgment, Violet finds out just how good Alex is with the hockey stick in his pants. But what starts out as a one-night stand, quickly turns into something more. Post-night of orgasmic magic, Alex starts to call, and text, and e-mail and send extravagant—and quirky—gifts, making him difficult to ignore, and even more difficult not to like.
The problem is, the media portrays Alex as a total player, and Violet doesn’t want to be part of the game.

I had to read this one as I heard some good things about this book which I kind of agree with it's just not as good as what I thought it would have been...

This is a smoking hot cover that body looks like it could be Alex. I love the use of colours but maybe too dark for this book as there isn't anything dark about this book it's more of a light relief book.

When I first started reading this I was finding myself agreeing with all the positive reviews as I was really enjoying it, however the further I went into the book the more I got fed up with things being said as well as what people where doing. It was a really funny book that had me laughing out loud nearly all the way through although somethings that was meant to be funny had me rolling my eyes. I kind of liked the romance between Alex and Violet as they could had smoking hot chemistry but there was times when I couldn't see them lasting. I felt there was a bit too much sex involved in the story which sometimes had me cringing. The ending was okay everything was cleared up but I did felt it was a little bit rushed.

I had a love/hate relationship with most of the characters except for Alex. I liked Alex's character as he was different to the kind of guys I read in my books as he's a nice guy and not a player however most of the characters don't know about this so he does get called out a lot. Violet could be really funny but then there was times when she really annoyed me to the point when I thought she wasn't good enough for Alex.

Overall, it was a really funny book but it did grate on me at times. I'm not sure I will be able to continue on with this series as even though I didn't hate it I didn't like enough of the characters enough to want to read on.