24 May 2012

Book Review: Burn Mark

Burn Mark by Laura Powell



Format: Paperback (arc)
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Published: 7th June 2012
Pages: 416
Main Characters: Glory, Lucas
Date Started: 17th May 2012
Date Finished: 24th May 2012
Rating Given: ***

Blurb from Goodreads:

Glory is from a family of witches and lives beyond the law. She is desperate to develop her powers and become a witch herself. Lucas is the son of the Chief Prosecutor for the Inquisition—the witches’ mortal enemy—and his privileged life is very different to the forbidden world that he lives alongside.

And then on the same day, it hits them both. Glory and Lucas develop the Fae—the mark of the witch. In one fell stroke, their lives are inextricably bound together, whether they like it or not . . .

When Bloomsbury publishers sent out a email about this book it sounded like it would be right up my street as I love anything to with magic. Thank you to Bloomsbury for sending me this book to review as I did enjoy this new world of magic.

The cover of the book that I got wasn't this cover as it was an arc copy but this cover is stunning. I love the way the fire is in the background with a girls silhouette in the foreground it really does catch my eye and it is kind of in keeping with things that are happening within the book which I love it when covers do that. I like the simple type but in huge letters which makes you sit up and notice what the book is actually called.

This is my first book of Laura Powell and what a book to start with. I love the way she has set up this whole world it made it all the more believable. Powell swaps the point of views over between the two main characters but sometimes it's every other chapter but then by the end it changes throughout the chapter which did get a little confusing especially when there was another characters point of view thrown in.

I loved that it was set in the modern world but with the old fashioned Salem Witch trials views it made it a very interesting read. There was a lot of set up in to the story which made it a slow beginning but then it would build and build until a more action packed ending. What I liked about this book was that you never quite knew who trust as one minute you would think one side was the good guys but then in the next chapter it would change. I think this is going to be a series which I am pleased about as there was some things that happened but didn't get sorted out, however, a lot of the story did get sorted out which makes me think where it will go next if there is another book.

I'm still not 100% sure on the two main characters as they was both stuck in their prejudice ways in which they was brought up but once it got closer to the end views started to change. Glory was a bit annoying to start with as she always seemed to be complaining and she just didn't seem a nice person but again that did change by the end. Lucas to start with seemed just as head strong and I'm still not sure I completely warmed to him. There did seem to be a start of a potential romance maybe if there are more books we will see more of this which I did miss from this book.

Overall a good start to what I hope will be a brilliant series. I am looking forward to reading more from Laura Powell.