30 September 2012

Book Review: Yesterday

Yesterday by C.K. Kelly Martin


 
Format: e-arc
Publisher: Random House
Published: 25th September 2012
Pages: 368
Main Characters: Freya, Garren
Date Started: 20th September 2012
Date Finished: 27th September 2012
Rating Given: ***
 

Blurb from Goodreads:


THEN: The formation of the UNA, the high threat of eco-terrorism, the mammoth rates of unemployment and subsequent escape into a world of virtual reality are things any student can read about in their 21st century textbooks and part of the normal background noise to Freya Kallas's life. Until that world starts to crumble.

NOW: It's 1985. Freya Kallas has just moved across the world and into a new life. On the outside, she fits in at her new high school, but Freya feels nothing but removed. Her mother blames it on the grief over her father's death, but how does that explain the headaches and why do her memories feel so foggy? When Freya lays eyes on Garren Lowe, she can't get him out of her head. She's sure that she knows him, despite his insistence that they've never met. As Freya follows her instincts and pushes towards hidden truths, the two of them unveil a strange and dangerous world where their days may be numbered. Unsure who to trust, Freya and Garren go on the run from powerful forces determined to tear them apart and keep them from discovering the truth about their shared pasts (and futures), her visions, and the time and place they really came from. Yesterday will appeal to fans of James Dashner's The Maze Runner, Veronica Roth's Divergent, Amy Ryan's Glow, Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and Ally Condie's Matched.
 
 

When I saw this on Netgalley I thought this would be an interesting read and I wasn't wrong but I feel like it could have been better.

I love the cover it was what made me want to read this book. There is a lot going on in the cover without giving anything away which is how I felt about the most of the book. Every time I see this image my eye is drawn straight to the girls face especially the eye it makes me want to know more about her.

I loved that for the most part this book was based in 1985 as this was the year I was born so it was nice to see the different culture of that time period. For some of the book it was based in another time but i was thinking that it would be in the past so I was surprised when it went to 2063! I'm not sure what genre this book is as I think it's Dystopian with Paranormal but there's not much of the paranormal side in this book so I was a bit disappointed about that.
At first I couldn't get into this book and I think it could have only been about halfway through until I got into it which was a shame as once I got into it, it was a really gripping book. I was confused about what was happening for most of the book and I still don't think everything was explained very well. There was times when I found myself skimming through some of the chapters which I don't usually do especially when I was already confused but it just dragged. There was times however that I was so int the book that I didn't want to put the book down as it was gripping. The beginning may have dragged but from the halfway point so much was happening and it was such a thrilling ride. There was so many twists and turns that I was never sure about what was going to happen next which I love when a book can do that. The end I'm not sure about which is because I don't know if this is a stand alone or if it's a series so if it was a stand alone it was a bad ending but if not I am looking forward to see where the journey will take Freya and Garren next.

I wasn't a huge fan of the characters but like the book they grew on me and became good characters. Freya started of a bit confusing as she was not sure what was happening in her life and wasn't remembering things but when we find out about why this was happening she got better. She became a strong person and didn't care what people thought of her which I find a good trait to have. Garren I really didn't like to start with as he seemed a bit of a jerk but all of a sudden he starts being nice and starts to believe Freya but I found it was a bit out of the blue so for me it wasn't believable. I did start liking him after all that happened and loved to see Freya and Garren's friendship grow and they was really sweet together.

Overall I was confused for most part of the book but it did get loads better and I hope there is going to be another book.