4 November 2012

Book Review: Ashes (Ashes Trilogy #1) by Ilsa J. Bick

 
Format: Paperback
Publishers: Quercus
Published: 29th September 2011
Pages: 465
Main Characters: Alex
Date Started: 28th October 2012
Date Finished: 2nd November 2012
Rating Given:
 Photobucket
 

Blurb from Goodreads:

No, she thought. No, please, God, I'm not seeing this

Seventeen-year-old Alex is hiking through the wilderness when it happens: an earth-shattering electromagnetic pulse that destroys almost everything.

Survivors are divided between those who have developed a superhuman sense and those who have acquired a taste for human flesh. These flesh-hunters stalk the land: hungry, ruthless and increasingly clever...

Alex meets Tom, a Young army veteran, and Ellie, a lost girl. They will fight together and be torn apart, but Alex must face the most difficult question of all:
In such a vastly changed world, who can you trust?

A story of high-wire tension, gut-wrenching twist, and burgeoning love, Ashes will leave you breathless.
 
 
I have wanted to read this book for awhile but I never got around to it until recently as I thought that it would be the perfect read for Halloween which it kind of was but not as creepy as I thought.
 
I love the UK cover for this book although the other version looks more creepy but this one just stands out. I love the colour the sepia tone as a metallic really makes the cover look effective. I'm not sure that it really ties in with the story but in this case it doesn't matter because this way it looks good.
 
When I first started it seemed OK but not much going on but when something did happen it still didn't pick up in pace. I found most of this book boring but in parts it kept me wondering what was going to happen next. For the most part I found it hard to understand what was happening but I think because the characters didn't know we in turn didn't know. There was a time throughout this book that I wanted to rate it lower but by the time it got closer to the end it picked up into a brilliant read. I just wish the rest of the book was as good because I would have rated it 5/5! The book did leave so many unanswered questions that makes me really excited about the next book.
 
Alex was really the only main character and at the beginning she seemed OK but I could forgive her character for not being the best as she was going through some serious issues and that was even before the world changed. When everything did change I felt she came into her self and become stronger and more likable. There was a few times when she acted a bit like a brat but again in her situation it was understandable. Ellie was in the book for a bit and was annoying to start with but she also grew as a better person. My favourite character had to be the dog Mina (yes I'm a dog person) she was such a brave fighter and very protective, I hope we see her again. Tom seemed like a nice guy and I did like him but I didn't like him as much as I did Chris. Chris I started off a bit dubious about but the more we got know him the more I liked him. I really do hope we get to see more of these characters in the books to come.
 
Overall it was a slow book but if you keep with it you won't be disappointed.