4 September 2014

Book Review: Crewel (Crewel World, #1) by Gennifer Albin

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: Hardback
Publishers: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Published: 16th October 2012
Pages: 368
Genre: YA, Dystopia
Main Characters: Adelice
Date Read: 16th August - 1st September 2014
Rating Given:
 photo three.jpg

Synopsis:Incapable. Awkward. Artless. That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen-year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: She wants to fail. 
Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen to work the looms is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to manipulate the very fabric of reality. But if controlling what people eat, where they live, and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.
Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and used her hidden talent for a moment. Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her dad’s jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.
Because tonight, they’ll come for her.


“...that no matter how good their intentions, with absolute power comes corruption.” 

I had won this book awhile ago now but I have only just gotten around to reading it. I do feel like maybe I should have put it off a bit longer...

I absolutely adore this cover, it is so much better than the paperback version as this one is so colourful. I could actually imagine this cover in the story as that is the easier way to explain what the book is actually about. This cover is even more stunning in real as it has a metalic look making it shine.

It took me awhile to actually get into this book as it was very confusing and it took awhile for everything to get explained in a way I could understand. As soon as I started to understand what on earth was happening I was able to really enjoy the book but there was still a few moments that lulled for me. I love that this story is very unique to what I have ever read before which I think it makes it stand out from all the other dystopia books that are all pretty much the same. I do have a bit of a love/hate relationship with dystopia books as there are a few out there that I absolutely adore but quite a few of them I just can't get into and I would say this one actually falls in between love and hate as I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. There wasn't a lot of romance in this book and when there was I felt like it wasn't believable as it came out of the blue and it looks like the further into this series is going to produce a love triangle as it was kind of there in this one but not as much as what I think it will in the future. With Crewel being the first in the series it seemed more of a world building book than anything else as there was no real action and the bit that there was, was over within seconds. The ending was a good one as it has made me want to continue on in the series so I can find out what is going to happen next.

My feelings towards the characters changed throughout the book. Adelice seemed to be a quite character with no feelings of her own in the beginning but the more I went into the book the more I found this wasn't the case. She seemed like an independent girl that will do what she thinks is right even if that gets her into trouble. She did seem to be older than what she was portrayed as but I think that could've been because she had a lot of growing up to do in very hard circumstances. It was hard to trust in any of the other characters as I never knew who was actually telling the truth even her love interests.

Overall this was an okay world building book but I just wish it wasn't so confusing with more action happening.

“Jost's lips crush into mine, and I reach out without thinking and pull him closer against me. My hand tangles in his hair, and the web shimmers around us. The rest of the world is perfectly still, but we are in motion, crumbling into one another.