9 September 2014

Book Review: My Blood Approves (My Blood approves, #1) by Amanda Hocking

(Click image to take you to Goodreads)

Format: ebook
Publishers: Indie
Published: 15th April 2010
Pages: 181
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance
Main Characters: Alice, Jack
Date Read: 2nd September - 7th September 2014
Rating Given:
 photo fourfive.jpg

Synopsis:
Teenager Alice Bonham's life feels crazy after she meets Jack. With his fondness for pink Chuck Taylors and New Wave, he's unlike anyone she knows. Then she meets his brother, Peter. Even though he can't stand the sight of her, she's drawn to him. Falling for two guys isn't even the worst of her problems. Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice finds herself caught between love and her own blood.


After reading other books by Amanda Hocking and absolutely loving them I thought I would try some of her other books and seeing as this was cheap I thought I would start with this one. It did take me a long time before I started this but once I did I thought to myself why did I leave it so long?...

I really do love this cover and although its not my favourite cover in this series it is still one of my favourite covers out there. I love everything about this cover especially the colour which really does work well for the setting of this particular story.

From the moment I started this book I was addicted to it as I never wanted to put it down even when I knew I had to and when I did put it down I was thinking about it and wondering what was going to happen next. There was a few of things that happened that made me not want to give this book the full 5 out of 5 and one of those things being there was no real action which I do love in my books especially a vampire book. The other problem for me was the relationship between Peter and Alice as it felt forced and not real. I did love the relationship between Jack and Alice as their feelings seemed more real as they seemed to grow rather than instantly. It was a little confusing the relationship between these three as there was a lot of things that was happening that just couldn't be explained but I do hope that will change in the next books. I would say there was a couple of things in this book that was very similar to Twilight especially with the needy heroine that would rather die than be apart from peter and Jack and the rest of their family. I kind of liked the ending as it cleared a few things up but also left it wide open for the next book.

Apart from one character I kept changing my mind on each of the characters. Alice at first I thought was going to be annoying as she was very selfish which she was still that way at the end but I also thought she grew into a better person throughout the book. Jack I started off really liking as there was just something good about him but like Alive he did have annoying moments but in the end it was hard not to like him. It was really hard to know how to feel about Peter as he seemed too mean but once we find out a bit more about him I got where he was coming from. My favourite character had to be Alice's brother Milo as he was so sweet and I just felt sorry for the way Alice treated him at times. There was times that I forgot he was the younger sibling as he sure didn't act like it.

Overall this was a great start to what I hope will be an amazing series. If this series goes like all Hocking's other series it will get better as the series continues.